James Alexander Forbes
YORK UNIVERSITY, Toronto, Ontario: 2013-Present
Ph.D. Candidate ABD, Communication and Culture
RYERSON UNIVERSITY, Toronto, Ontario: 2007-2009
M.A. Communication and Culture
CONCORDIA UNIVERSITY, Montreal, Quebec: 2005-2007
Honours B.A. Philosophy
McGILL UNIVERSITY, Montreal, Quebec: 2000-2002
B.A. Communications and Film, Anthropology
PROFESSIONAL TEACHING EXPERIENCE
YORK UNIVERSITY, Toronto, Ontario: 2013-Present
Teaching Assistant – Department of Communication Studies
RYERSON UNIVERSITY, Toronto, Ontario: 2008-2009
Teaching Assistant – Department of Sociology
PROFESSIONAL AND VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE
Event Coordinator, President
Event Coordinator, Treasurer
Consultant and Co-founder
MARGARET LAURENCE HOUSING COOPERATIVE: 2014-2016
Vice President and Secretary, Board of Directors
MARGARET LAURENCE HOUSING COOPERATIVE: 2013-2014
Director, Board of Directors
AIDS COMMITTEE OF TORONTO (ACT): 2010-2012
Senior Coordinator, Special Events
TORONTO PEOPLE WITH AIDS FOUNDATION (PWA) Toronto, Ontario: 2009-2010
- Forbes, J. A. Book Review of matthew heinz Entering Transmasculinity: the Inevitability of Discourse. Intellect, The University of Chicago Press: Chicago, 2016.
- Forbes, J. A. “Selling Heaven: Evangelical Natalism in 19 Kids and Counting” in We Need to Talk About Family: Essays on Neoliberalism, the Family, and Popular Culture. Garrett, Jensen, Voela, eds. Cambridge Scholars, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, 2016.
- Forbes, J. A. “Revisiting Western Philosophical Traditions”, Book Review of Bruno Latour, An Inquiry into Modes of Existence: An Anthropology of the Moderns, translated by Catherine Porter. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 2013, TOPIA 33 (2015) 237-240.
- Forbes, J. A. Positive Talk: Online Forums, HIV and Sexual Health in the Canadian Context. IAMCR 2017 Cartagena CO.
- Forbes, J. A. Towards Undetectable Stigma: Canadian ASO’s, Health Communication and “AIDS Panic”, Sexual Silence, Sexual Dissent Panel, CCA/Congress 2017, Toronto ON.
- Forbes, J. A. Quilts and Candlelight: Marginalization, Memory, and the Stigmatization of HIV+ Long Term Survivors in Canadian ASO’s. IAMCR 2016, Leicester UK.
- Forbes, J. A. Material and Technique: On the Origins of Writing in the Ancient Near-East. CCA/Congress 2016, Calgary AB.
- Forbes, J. A. Television as Oracle: Greek Epigraphy from Dodona and the Modern Soap Opera. NEPCA 2014, Providence, RI.
- Forbes, J. A. Politics and Printing in the Dutch Golden Age: La République des Lettres in the Printing House of Samuel Luchtmans? Theory, Culture & Politics Conference 2014, Trent University, Peterborough, ON.
- Forbes, J. A. Narrowing the Gap: Normative Representation of Families and the Limitations of Political Discourse, PCA/ACA Conference 2014, Chicago, IL.
- Forbes, J. A. On Stone Tools and Mobility. Future Communications Graduate Conference 2013, York University, Toronto ON.
CONFERENCE CHAIRING AND PANEL COORDINATION
- Panel Chair, Analyses and Evaluations, Methodological Approaches, IAMCR 2017.
- Panel Discussant, Professional Perspectives: Innovation and Vision, IAMCR 2017.
- Panel Discussant, Audience Perception and Analysis, IAMCR 2017.
- Panel Chair, Motherhood/Fatherhood PCA/ACA Conference 2014, Chicago, IL.
- Panel Coordinator, Future Communications Graduate Conference 2013, York University, Toronto ON.
- Forbes, J. A. Viral Ontology: Queering the Affects of Bio-power in HIV+ Bodies (in progress).
- Forbes, J. A. Being and Technics: Humans, Hybrids and the Ontology of Machines, Master’s Thesis, Ryerson University, Toronto, 2009.
- Academic Appeals and Honesty Committee, PhD Representative, York University Faculty of Graduate Studies, 2016-2017.
- Program Admissions Committee, Communication and Culture MA Representative, Ryerson and York, 2008.
PLANNING, COORDINATION & ACTIVISM
- Queers Crash the Beat, ad hoc committee against police violence and repression in the greater Toronto Area, 2016- Present.
- Intersections-Cross Sections Graduate Student Conference Co-chair and Logistics Coordinator, 2015.
- Activate TO Lecture Series – Co-organizer and panel coordination, 2013-2014.
Peer-Review Committee, Intersections 2014: Thinking | Feeling. Ryerson and York Communications and Culture Graduate Conference.
- Organising and Peer-Review Committees, Intersections: Crisis – Critical Disruption of Communication and Cultural Flows. Ryerson and York Communications and Culture Graduate Conference, 2008.
- COMN 2700 Media, Culture and Society, 2017 (Summer), 2014 (Summer), 2013 (Year)
- COMN 3700 Advertising: the Growth of a 20th Century Belief System (Fall).
- COMN 2500 Information and Technology, 2015 (Year), 2014 (Year).
- COMN 3751 Television as Culture, 2014 (Summer).
- COMN 3750 Television as Communication, 2014 (Summer).
- COMN 2700, York University. Narrative Pleasure: How we come to Create, Tell and Like Stories, Summer 2017.
- COMN 2700, York University. American Beauty: Tragedy and Comedy in American Cinema, Summer 2017.
- COMN 2700, York University. Race and Representation in Pop Culture: Kiddy Smile’s ‘Let a B!tch Know”, Summer 2017.
- COMN 3750, York University. Deconstructing Omar Little: Re-presenting Queer Black Male History in ‘The Wire’, Summer 2013.
AWARDS & DISTINCTIONS
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council Doctoral Fellowship, National, 2016-2017.
- Ioan Davies Scholarship, York University Internal, 2016.
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship, Provincial, 2016 (Declined).
- Waitlisted Vanier CGS, National, 2015.
- Entrance Scholarship, Ryerson University Internal, 2007.